Spring 2012: Nate's business takes a massive dive. It had been doing SO well. Much depression ensues.
Summer 2012: Nate reads a bunch of "How to Choose A Career"-type books and settles on becoming a professor. Good call, I think. He's always been an excellent teacher, and he loves to research. Perfect. Until he tells me it's a FIVE YEAR PROGRAM to get a PhD. Sigh. Oh well - still a good career choice, if more involved than I thought.
November 15, 2012: Nate takes the GMAT (after 3 months of straight studying). Got a 650, which felt like an epic fail at the time (average for getting into PhD school is 700).
December 18, 2012: Nate takes the GMAT again and gets a 660. Didn't feel as failure-esque this time because he did really well on the portion of the test he'd bombed the first time... and bombed the portion of the test he did really well on the first time.
January 24, 2013: Thanks in part to some string-pulling by my brother Ryan, and thanks in part to the PhD prep program Nate did while at BYU, Nate gets accepted into the Behavioral Accounting program at the University of South Carolina for the coming fall (BIG deal, as it's the #2 behavioral program, and we didn't even know if we'd get accepted anywhere at all).
January 25, 2013: We list our house (seems like a good idea, since it's taking homes an average of 8 months to sell).
January 29, 2013: Our house sells (eek!).
February 19, 2013: We fly to SC, find a house, and put an offer down on it.
March 1, 2013: We close on our house, load up our pods (that's right - Nate and I DID just move that piano out of the house and into the pod all by ourselves!), cry (a lot, in my case), and drive to my parents' house, where we'll be staying until our house in SC closes on April 8th.
WHEW! Go Gamecocks! (for the record, the fact that our new school's mascot is a fighting chicken with a name that would be dirty in England didn't escape me. I'm still having a hard time getting past that one... no offense to any current gamecock reading this...)


4 comments:
Oh my gosh. Wow what a roller coaster! So glad to hear the update and big congratulations on the house sale/purchase! Hope things continue to improve f
You are missed so much here in the neighborhood. The new neighbors are nice but they don't come outside much yet due to her being preggo and due in a few months and having some complications I think. She is from Mongolia and he is from Rexburg. I just miss my best friend. You have no idea on the crying. I cried when I first found out you were moving and then I cried for a week after you moved. I still cry when I see your house and nice weather and no Kim and kids outside playing. I hope to see you before you go all the way to SC and hope you stay in touch with me. It was a roller coaster all right for you and your little family.
Hi Kimberlie this is Rebecca Webb. I found your blog through Megan and Kris Horrocks. I hope it's ok that I read what's been going on. It sounds like your family has been through a lot lately. I just wanted to let you know that I have a sister in South Carolina that would be happy and willing to help you guys if you need something. I don't know where you will be moving but they are up North. Anyway, if you need their help let me know and I will contact them. Best of luck to you guys. Bruce says to tell Nate hi.
Wow! Busy lady! I can't blog either when there's much of anything going on in my life, which is why people still think we live in Chicago... Glad that everything is turning out well! Your kids are so cute and OLD! And congrats to Nate on school. Best of luck with your move and your whole new life!
Post a Comment